how to 'block' the prompt

Sebastian Luque sluque at mun.ca
Thu Aug 19 02:05:22 CEST 2004

Dear List,

I haven't found help in the documentation or in ESS archives regarding the
following. I'd like to be able to have the R prompt be unerasable while
working on Emacs (21.3.1) + ESS (5.2.2) (Debian Linux). Sometimes I
accidentally erase the prompt and I'm forced to press <return> to get it back
and keep typing commands. In other words, I would like to have a prompt that
behaves like that from R when it's run in a shell. I'm not sure this is
something that is controlled from ESS, or from some other Emacs setting, as
I've seen similar behaviour when running eshell, for instance.

If this can be configured somehow, can one still select the prompt for
copying/pasting into other buffers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best
Sebastian