New proposed function doesn't do what I want

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at post.its.mcw.edu
Mon Aug 16 17:30:18 CEST 2004

>  the found search-string is an empty string (= (match-beginning)
>  (match-end)), so the COUNT argument will automatically be
>  satisfied, cf.,
>
>(re-search-forward "" nil t 30)
>
>  which will return the current point.
>
>  the function removes the single blank lines because a single
>  blank line satisfies the search conditions.  I'd go for two
>  explicit lines, and go to the beginning of the found regular
>  expression in case I'm at the beginning of a non-blank line
>  (`delete-blank-lines' will do nothing in that case):
>

>(defun ess-delete-blank-lines ()
>  "Convert 2 or more lines of white space into one."
>    (interactive)
>    (save-excursion
>	(goto-char (point-min))
>	(save-match-data
>	    (while (search-forward-regexp "^[ \t]*\n[ \t]*\n" nil t)
>              (goto-char (match-beginning 0))
>		    (delete-blank-lines)))))
>

>/Tom

Tom:

How the counting worked was what I was missing.  Thanks.

Rodney Sparapani              Medical College of Wisconsin
Sr. Biostatistician           Patient Care & Outcomes Research
rsparapa at mcw.edu              http://www.mcw.edu/pcor
Was 'Name That Tune' rigged?  WWLD -- What Would Lombardi Do