New proposed function doesn't do what I want

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at post.its.mcw.edu
Sat Aug 14 00:13:43 CEST 2004

Does anyone know why this function doesn't quite work?  I want to change all
multiple blank lines into one blank line.

(defun ess-delete-blank-lines ()
"Convert 2 or more lines of white space into one.  This function
works as you might expect, except that it must be terminated by C-g
for some reason and it also removes single blank lines?!?"
    (interactive)

    (save-excursion
	(goto-char (point-min))

	(save-match-data
	    (while (search-forward-regexp "^[ \t]*$" nil 'eof 2)
		    (delete-blank-lines)))))

Rodney Sparapani              Medical College of Wisconsin
Sr. Biostatistician           Patient Care & Outcomes Research
rsparapa at mcw.edu              http://www.mcw.edu/pcor
Was 'Name That Tune' rigged?  WWLD -- What Would Lombardi Do