running ESS with S-PLUS 6.1

Satoshi Takahama takahama at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Aug 4 10:41:00 CEST 2004

Hello Dr. Heiberger,

After following your suggestions I was able to get both S+6 and Sqpe
working- I modified my .emacs file as you recommended, I obtained
ddeclient.exe and placed it in the same folder as Splus executable,
and I also created a directory path that has no spaces.

I have decided to stick with the S GUI rather than Sqpe for the fact
that the GUI is apparently necessary for the Edit.data() function
anyway, and help() apparently requires gnuclientw.exe when calling it
from Sqpe. I also did notice that in Sqpe I had to type
java.graph(),dev.off(), and then java.graph() again to actually get
the device to open, as noted by Andy Liaw in the ESS help mailing list
archives back in 2001.

I have only three minor questions remaining, which are not essential
and would not be offended if left unanswered:

1) Is it natural for ESS to take a very long time (~1 minute) to load
after typing M-x S [Return]? It takes about 7 seconds for S-PLUS to
load and then another 60 seconds for emacs to stop fontifying and
become ready for my input. The computer I am using is a Pentium M 1.5
MHz with 512MB of RAM so I don' think this is the problem.

2) When exiting S-PLUS and subsequently killing the placeholder buffer
for S+6 in emacs, I get the this message in the mode line:
(error/warning) Error in process sentinel: (buffer-read-only
*S+6*). Is this a problem that will hurt me unknowingly?

2) The second question is regarding the method of setting the default
directory. I looked at the documentation you suggested
<http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/general/ESS/doc/html/> and was able to set
default S-directory without being prompted, but S-PLUS takes that
directory and adds another level to it. For example, I set my default
directory to 'c:/HOME/Satoshi', and even if there is a .Data folder in
there already, S-PLUS will create and make its working directory
'c:/HOME/Satoshi/HOMESatoshi' instead (with its own .Data and .Prefs
directories), and if the default directory is
'c:/HOME/Satoshi/MySwork', S-PLUS will make
'c:/HOME/Satoshi/MySwork/HOMESatoshiMySwork' the working directory. I
also get the same result if I manually choose the default directory
when prompted. This is rather odd to me but if there is no quick fix I
am willing to live with it.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Satoshi

PS and thank you Andy for forwarding this to the correct help mailing
list.