running ESS with S-PLUS 6.1

Satoshi Takahama takahama at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Aug 4 06:19:27 CEST 2004

Hello Dr. Heiberger,

Thanks for your reply. Upon implementing your suggestions, the
previous error messages have gone away, but I seem to have trouble
plotting in S-PLUS 6.1 with the current configuration.

After I type in M-x S+6 [Return], it prompts me for a directory, for
which I type 'MySwork' so that the absolute path to the directory is
C:\Documents and Settings\Satoshi\My Documents\MySwork\. S-PLUS 6.1
opens up as when I double click on the S-PLUS startup icon, but an
error message pops up at the beginning:

Error opening BATCH input file C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\SATOSHI\MY
DOCUMENTS\MYSWORK\DOCUMENTS\AND

(I click [OK] and S-PLUS 6.1 runs in Windows GUI as I expect it to do
normally)

+++
Meanwhile, back in the XEmacs window, in the mode line appears this
message

Searching for program: No such file or directory, ddeclient

+++
I ignore this message and type M-x Sqpe+6 [Return], which give me a
prompt. When I type any commands in any plotting commands, however, it
just plots the figure in the emacs buffer in ASCII as it would in an
Unix environment (without the use of X-Windows).

I guess I'm not really sure what is supposed to happen, but I expected
ESS to work with S-PLUS 6.1 as it would with R. I would appreciate it
if at your convenience you could elucidate me on the behavior I should
expect and if not, what else could be done. Again, thank you very much
for your help and I apologize if these questions are very basic.

Satoshi