Carbon Emacs in Panther

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Fri Oct 10 07:28:57 CEST 2003

Jan de Leeuw <deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu> writes:

> 1. If I use /usr/local/bin/R as my inferior R process, then it does
> not  work
> because it says it needs save, no-save, or vanilla.

That is weird -- doesn't sound like what I used to get?   In fact,
sounds more like some form of batch mode than anything else.

> 2. So I define a script R-ESS that execs R --vanilla, and make that my
> inferior R process. That works, but smells like a hack.

C-u M-x R   should let you add any starting arguments that you need
(instead of scripting them); if you figure the right combination, we
can stick 'em in.

> 3. I also get
>
> ess-error: Timeout waiting for prompt. Check inferior-ess-prompt or
> ess-loop-timeout.

That might be expected on a new platform -- we need to tweak
variables.

> 4. If I have a file with R commands and I "evaluate buffer" in the ESS
> menu,
> then it says "starts evaluating" and then hangs. This maybe a case of
> RTFM on my part.

I'm assuming that you've got a running process, based on below, so
this is pretty strange.  Related to #1, perhaps?

> 5. I can evaluate lines and functions in a buffer.

Thanks for the report, Jan.

best,
-tony

--
rossini at u.washington.edu            http://www.analytics.washington.edu/
Biomedical and Health Informatics   University of Washington

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachme...{{dropped}}