help: customizing ESS/xemacs to run R in windows98

Filippo Piro filippo.piro at tin.it
Wed Oct 8 11:20:39 CEST 2003

I have tried to run R under ESS/xemacs in the Microsoft windows system
following the instructions and using the init file configuration of Jon Fox.
All seem to go well on Windows XP (except infrequent crashes and difficulty
in closing the Rterm job). However on Windows98, even following to the
letter all instructions I have found, the inferior R process doesn't load
and the following error is signalled:
error in init file: symbol's function definition is void: defadvice.
please, tell me what I have missed.
thanks, Filippo Piro