problems using SAS mode

Faheem Mitha faheem at email.unc.edu
Fri Nov 21 05:24:11 CET 2003

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Rich Heiberger wrote:

> .it looks like you never started ESS.  You need to put the line
>  (load-file "/path/to/ess-site.el")
> as the last line in your .emacs

Debian has ESS set to start up automatically, which is why I didn't put it
in my .emacs. It is set here.

faheem ~>cat /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50ess.el
;; -*-emacs-lisp-*-
;;
;; Emacs startup file for the Debian GNU/Linux ess package
;;
;; Originally contributed by Nils Naumann <naumann at unileoben.ac.at>
;; Modified by Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org>
;; Adapted for dh-make by Jim Van Zandt <jrv at vanzandt.mv.com>

;; The ess package follows the Debian/GNU Linux 'emacsen' policy and
;; byte-compiles its elisp files for each 'emacs flavor' (emacs19,
;; xemacs19, emacs20, xemacs20...).  The compiled code is then
;; installed in a subdirectory of the respective site-lisp directory.
;; We have to add this to the load-path:
(setq load-path (cons  (concat "/usr/share/"
                                (symbol-name debian-emacs-flavor)
                                "/site-lisp/ess") load-path ))
;(autoload 'R "ess-site" "" t)
(require 'ess-site)