Extending ESS -- Mathematica

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at post.its.mcw.edu
Wed May 14 16:21:32 CEST 2003

>Hi,
>
>I've been using ESS for a while now, with R. Since I do some work with
>Mathematica as well, I started wondering -- why not just use the same
>interface for both programs? The command-line frontend to Mathematica
>seems to behave very similarly to R (and probably many other
>interactive computational packages). The syntax for programs is very
>strict and logical.
>

>I wanted to ask before I do anything -- has anyone attempted this? Also,
>a word of advice would be nice: is it difficult to extend ESS to support
>another package? Are there any particular limitations of ESS that would
>make this a difficult undertaking?
>
>Any other hints?
>
>thanks,
>--J.
>PS: yes, I know about the two packages that support Mathematica in
>Emacs/XEmacs. But I'd really enjoy using just one unified
>interface. Besides, the packages seem unmaintained.

Jan:

Nobody has tried it to my knowledge.  But, it is not as easy as it should be to
add a language to ESS.  We would like to make it easier, but current efforts on
ESS 6 have stalled.  However, trying to integrate the existing packages might
not be that much trouble.  Give it a try and let us know.

Rodney Sparapani              Medical College of Wisconsin
Sr. Biostatistician           Patient Care & Outcomes Research
rsparapa at mcw.edu              http://www.mcw.edu/pcor
Was 'Name That Tune' rigged?  WWLD -- What Would Lombardi Do