S+6 setup for Unix

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Thu May 1 18:04:30 CEST 2003

Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa at post.its.mcw.edu> writes:

> Thanks that helps alot.  But, I wasn't looking in any files.  I was just looking
> at the variable settings with customize.  And, even though I'm on Unix, I see
> alot of Windows settings.  I think we need to have a more user-friendly model,
> i.e. ESS[SAS] has the same variables under Unix, Mac and Windows with different
> defaults, if necessary.  We can't expect that someone is going to go to the
> source code each time, either.  And, if they do need to, some way of minimizing
> the number of variants is necessary.  Perhaps I'm out of my mind, but looking
> over our notes from JSM, it would be nice if there were as few files as
> possible:
>
> 1: ess-s.el or ess-sp.el (basics)
> 2: and ess-sp6.el (S+6-specific for both Unix and Windows)

This is part of the grand master plan.  As soon as I figure out where
I'll be next fall, I'll be working more it.  We really need to
refactor so:
         Splus6 -> Splus6 Unix
                -> Splus6 Windows
rather than
         Splus6 Windows
         Splus6 Unix
to clear up the code.

The toolbar code is nearly finished for SAS, S(-Plus) and R.  :-).
Stephen, didn't you want this for some

(I know this is ess-help, not ess-core, but others should know there
some work is still (very slowly) being done).

best,
-tony

--
A.J. Rossini rossini at u.washington.edu http://software.biostat.washington.edu/
Biostatistics, U Washington and Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

FHCRC:Tu: 206-667-7025 (fax=4812)|Voicemail is pretty sketchy/use Email
UW  : Th: 206-543-1044 (fax=3286)|Change last 4 digits of phone to FAX

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachments ... {{dropped}}