repeating previous command

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Thu Jul 17 22:11:50 CEST 2003

bb2 at duke.edu writes:

> I was wondering if there is  way of cycling through a list of
> previously repeated commands in order to avoid having to retype
> them. If I open R outside of Xemacs, then the up or down arrows
> accomplish this.  Once I'm in the Xemacs environment with ESS (the
> iESS R window), the same up or down arrow simply moves my cursor
> within the R buffer.  How can I can I scroll through previous commands
> inside of the iESS window?

Other posters provided the solution.  I'd also like to point out that
it is possible to quickly jump, if you know the "starting characters"
of the command, i.e. if you've fit a linear model, then did lots of
stuff, and want to fit it again, type the initial characters for the
command ("lm" in this example) and then jump up; it'll skip over all
lines without those characters.

> A more general problem...I would like to avoid emailing this list with
> such trivial questions, but I am stumped as to how to find these
> answers without doing so.  There does not seem to be a searchable
> archive of previously emailed questions or a user manual that I have
> found with this level of detail (where I could look up keywords such
> as history, previous command, etc).

If you add it to the "user constructable FAQ" on my WWW page, it will
be there, anonymously.

(follow links from
        http://software.biostat.washington.edu/wikis/front/EmacsSpeaksStatistics
)

Feel free to add trivial questions; I'll remove any that really are
too trivial, but I doubt that will happen.

best,
-tony

A.J. Rossini  /  rossini at u.washington.edu  /  rossini at scharp.org
http://software.biostat.washington.edu/ UNTIL IT MOVES IN JULY.
Biomedical and Health Informatics, University of Washington
Biostatistics, HVTN/SCHARP, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center.
FHCRC: 206-667-7025 (fax=4812)|Voicemail is pretty sketchy/use Email

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachme...{{dropped}}