HTML Help, Rprofile and ESS help

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Jul 11 08:51:09 CEST 2003

    tony> bb2 at duke.edu writes:
    >> I had looked for it there but could not find it.  Is it a
    >> file that I just need to create?

    tony> Yes, it is not there by default.

Ehm, all this is really a question about R, and using
R-help at .. instead of ESS-help@ would have given "better"
answers.

In R,
	?Startup
is really what you should read on this topic.
There, you'd find that there's both :

a site-wide Rprofile and a user specific .Rprofile (actually,
potentially more than this: one in the home directory and more
in `project specific' start directories).
But I stop elaborating this is all nicely written in ?Startup
aka help(Startup).

BTW (back to ESS):
    Using HTML help instead of help-inside-ESS, you do lose too:

In side ESS help buffers, there's an extra Emacs menu and very
useful one (or two) letter commands.
Particularly, you can
1) jump to the examples section of the help page by
   "s e" {= jump to [s]ection [e]xamples}
2) send the examples to the running R process, using "l" (`ell')
   linewise, or via the usual C-c C-r {eval-region}.

Making use and learning from the examples of R help pages is
something under used in general I believe.