ESS and R

Kasper Daniel Hansen K.Hansen at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Jul 10 13:50:16 CEST 2003

On Thursday 10 July 2003 12:20, ess-help-request at stat.math.ethz.ch wrote:
> Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:03:31 +0100
> From: "Fohr, Marc [AM]" <marc.fohr at first-private.de>
> Subject: ESS and R
> To: "'ess-help at stat.math.ethz.ch'" <ess-help at stat.math.ethz.ch>
>
> Hello,
>
> I am running R under Windows XP for the moment. The editor I am currently
> running is RGUI. The major inconvenient is that input and output are
> generated in the same window. Many R-users have given me the advice to use
> ESS. However, before installing the software ESS under Windows XP, I am
> looking to get an answer to the following questions:

It sounds as if you want a quick easy solution for editing R files. If that is
the case I suggest that you forget about ESS.

ESS is an add-on package for the editor (X)Emacs. In order to use ESS you need
1) install (X)Emacs
2) learn how to do basic editing in (X)Emacs
and espcially 2) may take quite a while. If you take the time to learn this
editor you'll get a powerful, platform-independet tool. But it _will_ take
time.

If you already know a lot about (X)Emacs forget about this answer - then ESS
is the right choice :)

Running ESS and R in (X)Emacs basically puts the command line interface inside
of the editor. While useless at a glance this actually provides you with many
powerful options.

> a) How do I run R under ESS? How do I have to link both programmes? How do
> I switch off RGUI? Do I have to?
> b) If I am also running LaTex, is it possible to run it besides R?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Latex has nothing to do with R. As I
understand the question, you could be asking "can I run Internet Explorer,
while I am editing a word document". So the answer is yes

> c) Can ESS easily be uninstalled?

Yes. But I guess what you're think about is "Can (X)Emacs easily be
uninstalled?". I guess so, I am not using (X)Emacs on the XP platform.

> d) How do I get an input and output window under ESS? How do I run R in the
> one window, to see the result in another?

Technically you don't get two windows. However, you get something which is
very similar (at least that is how I use it, and I'm by no means an expert on
ESS).

> e) What will happen to the graphics produced by R?

They will be displayed in the standard R graphics window.

> f) Any problems when printing under Windows XP?

Depends on your setup I guess.

> g) Any other problems with Windows XP?

It's soooo tempting to be answer this qeuestion... but I'll refrain ;)

> h) Where can I find all the shortcuts I need for ESS?

You may start by reading the manual :)

--
Kasper Daniel Hansen, Research Assistant
Department of Biostatistics, University of Copenhagen