calling Splus 6 help from within emacs etc.

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Sat Feb 15 23:45:07 CET 2003

Faheem Mitha <faheem at email.unc.edu> writes:

> Good grief. Proprietary software vendors... :-)

No comment.

> Yes, the archives are at
> ftp://ftp.stat.math.ethz.ch/Mail-archives/ess-help/, at least up to the
> end of 2002. (The list seems to have been pretty quiet recently.) It would
> be good to have a link to this from the official home page,
> http://software.biostat.washington.edu/statsoft/ess/.

Will do this week, thanks!

> BTW, have you considered setting up a searchable html archive with
> hypertext linking across messages in the same thread like the Debian
> mailing list archives (and others)?  This seems almost a standard for free
> software mailing lists.

It's really a  matter of time.   In what little  time that I have  for
software development (generally  frowned on as  an academic activity),
given the  option between R/Lisp/Python/Java  coding, or setting  up a
searchable mail archive, I try to choose the former...

>> You _CAN_ make changes locally, as well.
>>
>> Just add the line in your .emacs file that you would've changed in
>> ess-site.el.  It ought to work.
>
> Yes, this is what I have done. Or rather, done for the person using Splus.
> I don't use proprietary software myself. But it is not a site-wide change.
> I assume there is no sidewide local override file?

I think there is a site-wide local override for (X)Emacs, not sure
where the distributions are putting them these days.

I'll think about this a bit more.

best,
-tony

--
A.J. Rossini				Rsrch. Asst. Prof. of Biostatistics
U. of Washington Biostatistics		rossini at u.washington.edu
FHCRC/SCHARP/HIV Vaccine Trials Net	rossini at scharp.org
-------------- http://software.biostat.washington.edu/ ----------------
FHCRC: M: 206-667-7025 (fax=4812)|Voicemail is pretty sketchy/use Email
UW:   Th: 206-543-1044 (fax=3286)|Change last 4 digits of phone to FAX
(my tuesday/wednesday/friday locations are completely unpredictable.)