Scrolling

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Dec 19 18:36:46 CET 2003

(I've sent this only to Pascal, instead of the ESS-help list;
 I think it's very relevant! MM)

    Pascal> After several tries at EMACS in recent years I am
    Pascal> now determined to use it with R, thanks to ESS.

(good!)

    Pascal> My question may be an EMACS or an ESS question,
a good question in any case

    Pascal> I don't know. When I submit code from a code window I
    Pascal> opened with C-c 4 C-f to R, the R window does not
    Pascal> scroll even if the output goes past the bottom...

I go to the Info Manual for ESS (inside Emacs; I do C-h i d ESS m),
search for "scroll" (s scroll <Enter>) and find

    Manipulating the output from the last command

       Viewing the output of the command you have just entered is a common
    occurrence and ESS provides a number of facilities for doing this.
    Whenever a command produces a longish output, it is possible that the
    window will scroll, leaving the next prompt near the middle of the
    window.  The first part of the command output may have scrolled off the
    top of the window, even though the entire output would fit in the window
    if the prompt were near the bottom of the window.  If this happens, you
    can use the command

       * `C-c C-e' (`comint-show-maximum-output')
	 Move to the end of the buffer, and place cursor on bottom line of
	 window.

    to make more of the last output visible.  (To make this happen
    automatically for all inputs, set the variable
    `comint-scroll-to-bottom-on-input' to `t'; for information on this and
    other options for handling process input and output *note Shell Mode

       If the first part of the output is still obscured, use
       * `C-c C-r' (`comint-show-output')
	 Moves cursor to the previous command line and and places it at the
	 top of the window.

    to view it.  Finally, if you want to discard the last command output
    altogether, use

       * `C-c C-o' (`comint-kill-output')
	 Deletes everything from the last command to the current prompt.

    to delete it.  Use this command judiciously to keep your transcript to a
    more manageable size.

---
Regards,
Martin