html help

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Wed Dec 17 21:35:42 CET 2003

Jonathan Baron <baron at psych.upenn.edu> writes:

> On 12/17/03 10:56, A.J. Rossini wrote:
>>"Fox, Gordon" <gfox at chuma1.cas.usf.edu> writes:
>>
>>> If I run R in a terminal window and issue a help.start(), help(command)
>>> opens a browser window with the help file displayed properly.`
>>>
>>> If I run R under ESS in Xemacs and issue a help.start(), a browser window is
>>> opened but help(command) displays the help in an Xemacs buffer.
>>>
>>> I'm running R version 1.8.1 and Xemacs 21.4.12-6 on a Redhat Linux 9 box. I
>>> just updated the ESS package from xemacs.org yesterday in hopes that that
>>> might fix the problem; it didn't.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions as to how to fix this? Thanks.
>
> What I do is to use my browser (Mozilla) for help.  I have a
> button on the personal toolbar (actually 3 buttons) point to the
> R html files on my local computer, /usr/local/lib/R/doc/html/,
> for example (if you install from source on Linux), and I just
> click these.  I find the html help much more useful than the text
> help because of the links from one help file to another.

It should be reasonably straightforward to implement in Emacs.

However, I can't imagine getting to it before 2006.  Could you add it
to the ESS issue tracker ?

best,
-tony
--
rossini at u.washington.edu            http://www.analytics.washington.edu/
Biomedical and Health Informatics   University of Washington

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachme...{{dropped}}