ESS on Panther

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Dec 17 09:31:25 CET 2003

    NaLi> On 16 Dec 2003, Martin Maechler outgrape:
    >> > on Mon, 15 Dec 2003 16:16:37 -0600 writes:

    NaLi> To use ESS with Carbon Emacs, you need do:

    NaLi> (setq process-connection-type t)

    NaLi> before, say, 'M-x R'.

    NaLi> Maybe it should be added to ESS? See Andrew's website
    NaLi> for discussion on this issue.
    >>  Ah, that's interesting.  Note that I can do emacs -q {-q
    >> ~= --vanilla : no initialization whatsoever} ask for
    >> process-connection-type and it's always true (t) on both
    >> Unix versions I've available (Solaris, Linux).
    >>
    >> In other words, I think your "OS_X emacs" should be
    >> configured such that this is set to true early enough in
    >> order to behave like other emacsen.

    NaLi> There is a reason for setting it to nil in Carbon
    NaLi> Emacs, which has to do with a psuedo-terminal bug in
    NaLi> Darwin.  Here is a quote from Choi's website:

Ok. Thank you for the extra information/explanation!
Yes, given the above, I think we (ESS) should
    (setq process-connection-type t)
somewhere early in  (inferior-ess)  in lisp/ess-inf.el
maybe immediately before
    ;; run hooks now, to overwrite the above!
    (run-hooks 'ess-pre-run-hook)

Could you (someone using OS_X emacs) try and see if this does it?
/* For testing, make sure you don't set it anymore in your
   ~/.emacs or elsewhere!
*/

Martin