ESS on Panther

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Mon Dec 15 22:25:38 CET 2003

I seem not to have copied my earlier message to the list.  Has anyone
successfully used Andrew Choi's emacs with ESS under Panther?

My .emacs works fine with the crippled emacs that comes with Apple's
Xcode, but has the same problem as Kieran's with Andrew Choi's emacs.

Is the folllowing an issue? I quote from To quote from the README.txt
that came with Andrew Choi's emacs (21.3.50):

"
This version of Emacs doesn't see the expected shell environment
variables. Because it's launched by the Finder, not by another Unix
shell process. Mac OS X does have a way around this issue: and you can
set environment variables for all Finder launched processes, including
Emacs.app.

You create a file ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist which has an dictionary
of environment variables in it, then you must log in again for it to
take effect. Then Emacs will see those environment variables. In this
manner you could make Emacs.app see, for example, a different PATH
variable.
"

John Maindonald.