I built some RPMS for ESS. Care to try?

Detlef Steuer Detlef.Steuer at unibw-hamburg.de
Fri Dec 12 17:17:34 CET 2003

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 15:44:04 -0600
Paul Johnson <pauljohn at ku.edu> wrote:

> Please consider trying these and let me know if they work or don't.
>
> For RedHat 9 and Fedora 1, I built RPMs for ESS.  These were necessary
> because I had to automate the install for lab machines. I'm no RPM
> genius, but these do work on the 4 systems I tested.  This RPM drops in
> the ess files to /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp and it does the info
> directory install as well in /usr/share/info.  So all the user has to do
> is start Emacs and type "M-R" and R will start and the ess facilities
> are available.

Based on Paul's work I've created a rpm for SuSE-9.0 for ess-5.2.0beta3.
You can grab it here:
http://fawn.unibw-hamburg.de/steuer/ESS/

Lacking a better place I've uploaded a copy to CRAN, too.
(bin/linux/suse/9.0/RPMS/i586/ESS/)

For releases prior of SuSE 9.0 you can use the source rpm
ess-5.2.0beta3-1.src.rpm and rebuild the binary with:

rpm --rebuild ess-5.2.0beta3-1.src.rpm

and install the resulting rpm file.
(untested, may fail)

Thank you for your work, Paul!