accessing other servers

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Mon Aug 18 17:33:46 CEST 2003

> Hi
>
> At my department we have various servers dedicated to computing. I want
> to setup ESS so that whenever I use eg. SAS (but also R) I run it on a
> different server than the one I'm using Emacs on. My first thought
> (which is probably not the smartest) is to redifine the sas command to
> something like "ssh server sas" (or whatever the syntax specifically
> is).
>
> There must be other people who have attacked this problem. What is the
> canonical approach (using Linux btw. and accessing a combination of
> Linux and Solaris servers).
>
> /Kasper Daniel Hansen

Kasper:

For the daring, this should work.  Check out the latest ESS via CVS
from software.biostat.washington.edu:/home/ess/repository I hope you
are versed in CVS!  But, we are probably only a few days from a new
release (and a new server www.analytics.washington.edu).  In any case,
as long as we are talking about unix-like OS's, i.e. solaris, linux,
mac os x, this should work rather painlessly.  Edit your file remotely
with ange-ftp/EFS/tramp (kermit can also be made to work).  Then,
press F3 and it will login you in to the remote server with ssh server
and run the program in a buffer called *server* as in your example.  I
do this all the time, but you never know where your next bug will come
from.  tramp is very tricky as is kermit so you should try the other
methods first.
--
Rodney Sparapani              Medical College of Wisconsin
Sr. Biostatistician           Patient Care & Outcomes Research