ESS+R Win2000 Crash

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Wed Apr 9 08:25:17 CEST 2003

"Darryl" <darryl.greig at hp.com> writes:

> Hi Everyone,
> Thanks for your suggestions on this issue. To summarize, the most common
> suggestion was: use XEmacs. I will most likely follow this suggestion.
> To answer Tony's question as to whether I have ever run a shell from within
> emacs, I have not. The most sophisticated thing I do with emacs is ESS.
> I have not yet found a way to reproduce the problem ... you know how it is,
> when you work, you walk on eggshells and still get crashes, but when you set
> aside time to try and crash the system you just can't. I will let you know
> if I succeed in this.

Best of luck, but I really think it's related to a windows resizing
bug (at the operating system level, at least based on my memory of
Brian Ripley's comments on R-help within the last 2-3 months),
and its interaction with the stress placed on the system by 2+
concurrent processes (R and Emacs are not "lightweight" when
running).

I'm not positive that XEmacs will help (it's got its own bug, which
someone else commented on), but hopefully the particular issue that
you have will disappear...

best,
-tony

--
A.J. Rossini  rossini at u.washington.edu  http://software.biostat.washington.edu/
Biostatistics, U Washington and Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center