ESS & Splus 6

Robert M Dorazio bob_dorazio at usgs.gov
Tue Feb 26 14:19:13 CET 2002

DAVE BRAHM'S SUGGESTED SOLUTION DOES NOT SEEM TO WORK WITH XEMACS ON UNIX.

IN JANUARY I ASKED RICH HEIBERGER THE FOLLOWING QUESTION:

Rich

> I am using Splus 6.0.4 for UNIX, ESS 5.1.19, and XEmacs 21.1.14.
>
> I'd like to start the Splus process using "Splus -j", which allows a java
> graphics device to be used in Splus; however, I don't know how to pass
the
> argument "-j" to ESS.  Can this be done in my .emacs file?  If so, how?

HERE'S RICH'S RESPONSE:

The answer to Bob Dorazio's question is something like

(add-to-list 'S+6-customize-alist '(inferior-ess-start-args . "-j"))

This line is added to .emacs immediately after the line
(load-library "ess-site")

I'm not running unix so I can't verify this.

This proposal would overwrite any previous inferior-ess-start-args (which
there aren't at present for S+6 for Unix), so it not the general solution
to the problem.  The general solution is probably for us to place
(inferior-ess-start-args . inferior-S+6-start-args) into
S+6-customize-alist
and initialize inferior-S+6-start-args to nil in ess-cust.el.
Then the user would have the option of changing the value of the variable
inferior-S+6-start-args in .emacs.  This is similar to how I plan to
generalize the handling of options(STERM="iESS") into all the
customize-alists.

Bob, please check out the specific solution.
ess-core, please comment on the proposal.

UNFORTUNATELY, THIS SUGGESTION ALSO DID NOT WORK, AND I AM STILL SEARCHING
FOR A SOLUTION.

Bob Dorazio
United States Geological Survey
7920 NW 71 Street
Gainesville, Florida  32653
Phone:  (352) 378-8181 x373
Fax:    (352) 378-4956
Email:  bdorazio at usgs.gov
Internet:  www.fcsc.usgs.gov

                    "Dr. Alexander J.
                    McNeil"                       To:     brahm at alum.mit.edu
                    <mcneil at math.ethz.ch>         cc:     ess-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
                    Sent by:                      Subject:     Re: ESS & Splus 6
                    owner-ESS-help at stat.ma
                    th.ethz.ch

                    02/25/02 01:38 PM

Many thanks; that did the trick.

Alex McNeil

David Brahm wrote:
     Dr. Alexander J. McNeil <mcneil at math.ethz.ch> wrote:
          I notice that Splus 6 may now be run using ESS.
          Is it possible to run the java-enabled version (which is run from
          the
          command line with Splus6 -j)?

     Once upon a time this worked for me, maybe it still does.  In your
     .emacs:
       (custom-set-variables
        '(inferior-ess-start-args "-j")
       )

ess-help mailing list -- To (un)subscribe, send
subscribe	or	unsubscribe
(in the "body", not the subject !)  To: ess-help-request at stat.math.ethz.ch