[Bioc-sig-seq] edgeR glmLRT contrast Argument

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Thu Sep 1 00:51:01 CEST 2011

Dear Dario,

Here's an example.  Suppose you have three groups and you want to make
pairwise comparisons between them.

   group <- factor(c(1,1,2,2,3,3))
   design <- model.matrix(~group)
   fit <- glmFit(y,design,etc)

The fit has three parameters.  The first is the baseline level of group 1.
The second and third are the 2vs1 and 3vs1 differences.

To compare 2 vs 1:

   lrt.2vs1 <- glmFit(y,fit,coef=2)

To compare 3 vs 1:

   lrt.3vs1 <- glmFit(y,fit,coef=3)

To compare 3 vs 2:

   lrt.3vs2 <- glmFit(y,fit,contrast=c(0,-1,1))

The constrast argument says you want to test coef3-coef2 equal to zero.

Best wishes
Gordon