[Bioc-sig-seq] mappable length of a genome

Cei Abreu-Goodger cei at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Jul 7 15:36:10 CEST 2010

Hello all,

After short-read alignment, one post-processing step might be to
normalize by the length (e.g. of an individual exon, of all genes, etc).
This should actually be the mappable length of these portions of the
genome, not the real length. Mappable length could be defined as the
number of distinct k-mers that uniquely align in a given portion of the
genome.

In a previous thread, Simon Andrews mentioned a Bowtie perl wrapper:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioc-sig-sequencing/2009-May/000315.html

I seem to recall another post suggesting using the BSgenome packages for
a similar purpose...

Perhaps I'm missing something obvious and this functionality is already
included in one of the many sequencing-related packages out there.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Cei