[Bioc-sig-seq] trimLRPatterns - adaptor trimming

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Tue Aug 17 18:33:13 CEST 2010

JASREET HUNDAL <jasreeth at gmail.com> writes:

> I am new to R and don't quiet understand this correctly. When I tried
> ?writeFastq , nothing is displayed.
> Is there is any other way to export the trimmed reads? I am using this
> workflow:
> http://www.bioconductor.org/help/workflows/high-throughput-sequencing/

Hi Jess --

what is the output of

  > sessionInfo()

? Hopefully you're using R 2.11.0 or more recent, and ShortRead 1.6.0 or
better. If not, update your R or (if your R is current but not
ShortRead) installed packages as outlined at

  http://bioconductor.org/install/index.html#update-bioconductor-packages

In the workflow you mention, it should be as easy as

  writeFastq(trimmed, "/path/to/file")

It is a little more convoluted for fasta output

  fa <- sread(trimmed)
  names(fa) <- id(trimmed)
  write.XStringSet(fa, "/path/to/file")

It can help to try to convey what you mean by  'nothing seems to be
working' by copying and pasting a part of your R session into your
email,  especially if the snippet is reproducible (e.g., previously
running example(readFastq), and using the 'rfq' object that is created
as the data you're trying to write to a file). Also, if things just seem
to hang, then maybe you could confirm that you have the 'right idea' by
trying to write a subset of the data, e.g., writeFastq(trimmed[1:10]

Martin