[Bioc-sig-seq] Annotation of the lactococcus lactis genome

Marc Carlson mcarlson at fhcrc.org
Sat Sep 19 01:52:33 CEST 2009

Hi Karin,

So one thing you can look at for KEGG data is the KEGGSOAP package.  And
since you just sequenced these organisms, AnnotationDbi might not have
been the best tool anyways since it is designed to support gene centric
annotations and a sequencing project is inherently genome centric.  So
you might want to look at the rtracklayer package which should let you
have access to track data from this organism.  There actually ARE some
tracks for this microbe at the "other" UCSC genome browser which you can
find here:

http://microbes.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgTracks?hgTracksConfigPage=notSet?org=Lactococcus+lactis&db=lactLact&hgsid=305813

There is nothing for KEGG at UCSC (on this organism) though.  To map to
KEGG, you are going to have to get the sequences for your organism
mapped to the appropriate gene IDs used by KEGG 1st.

Hope this helps,

  Marc