[Bioc-sig-seq] readAligned and SAM format

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Sat Jul 25 21:23:29 CEST 2009

Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:
> Are you working on this now Martin? I have started to implement parsing
> of BAM files but right now my working is stalling a bit due to some
> other commitments, like finishing my thesis.

I'm in the same position. I took a snapshot of samtools, extracted the
relevant code to parse SAM / BAM, and used that to parse BAM files in to
R data structures. It was a very first pass, with some problems
including not complete cross-platform portability of the samtools code,
samtools changing rapidly at the time I did this, and not really sure
that the best strategy is to blindly pull the data in to R -- maybe
better, at least for some applications, would be to aim further down
stream, e.g., coverage.

Please feel free, Kasper or others out there, to work on this; I'm happy
to offer my two cents.

Martin